Saturday, June 19, 2010

little man

when it comes to fathers, i've been spoiled.

steve kornman is perhaps the most loving and generous man on this planet. he also puts us with my mother and two daughters (this makes him nearly a saint in my book).

i wasn't lucky enough to have my dad around throughout most of my childhood. he worked out of town to support us. he didn't like it, but that's what he needed to do to take care of us.

we had a "weekend daddy." he left early on monday morning and returned late thursday evening, usually shortly before, if not after, our bedtime. on fridays, he worked from home. before she started school, my sister would sit in the bedroom with him, playing "secretary."

i loved fridays as an elementary school kid. dad would come eat lunch with me. when a parent came to do this, you got to sit at a separate table and invite a few friends to come with you. everyone wanted to come.

on weekends, i'd have friends over. dad would play "wheelbarrow" when putting us to bed.

when i was a teenager, he frequently toted my girlfriends and me to winn-dixie. we'd stock up on toilet paper. and then throw it in the trees of our crushes' yards.

over the years, i've been fortunate to have my dad present for all of the significant events in my life. he and my mom have been my biggest cheerleaders.

i owe my dad my life.

yes, it was he who got into his truck, drove an hour to my home, and literally picked me up off of the floor.

it was he who talked to the insurance company.

it was he who drove me to a residential treatment center in chelsea, alabama.

my father gave me the help i desperately needed.

i know that his leaving me there was one of the hardest things he has ever done, aside from waiting for the opportunity to step in and do it.

my father saved my life. he gave me hope. he initiated the process of my recovery.

he held my hand through my divorce.

he helped me pack up my belongings and move out on my own.

and, a year and half later, he gave david his blessing to ask me to marry him, completely without any reservations. you don't know this, but that is saying a lot.

david knew how important it was for me to have my dad's approval. i cried when i found out.

my dad has once again given me a new life.

and i will forever be grateful to him.

he is my hero.

i love you, daddy.

4 comments:

  1. This is probably the sweetest, most touching, post I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know if it's the rum punch i had at the wedding tonight, but reading this made me cry. the good kind. every girl needs a daddy like that. and it's good to hear you have one. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome post! He sounds like a jewel. Can't wait to meet him!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when your dad called my dad after dropping you off at the center.
    I don't think we will ever understand how much our dad's love us. We are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete